With her Fashion Design Marketing degree tucked safely into her Prada knapsack, Kerry-Ann Clarke returned home from school in New York and Paris determined to make her mark on the local fashion scene. But not before paying her dues in her family business – however let’s just say that selling agricultural supplies wasn’t her thing. Instead, Kerry sought to share her newly acquired fashion sense with the local glitterati and opened her eponymous boutique, exchanging chicken feed for ‘T-Bag’s, weed-killer for ‘Calaloo Butik’ and lawnmowers marks for ‘DVF’ geometrics
Her collection of local and international designers is well edited. The likes of Anuna, Lubica, Peace is of Bianca, Red Carter and J Brand – all worthy of their showroom space. And what an inspired space it is. A contemporary boudoir with large leaning mirrors, plush armchairs and oversized ottomans swathed in animal prints, silk curtains in plum and mod chandeliers, all on a backdrop of deep-purple walls and surrounded by well-lit, perfectly symmetrical display boxes.
While the collections are succinct the variety is there. Funky leggings and shorts – you got it. Retro silk tops ‘ check! Asymmetrical mini and maxi dresses ‘with bells on! Soft layering T-shirts and tanks ‘ you bet. Dress shirts, tailored shorts and graphic t-shirts for the men ‘ for sure. Rosa Cha bikini bottoms – all in a bunch! Add to that sandals, clutches and all the little tools for the DIY nip-tuck necessary to make these outfits work (fashion tape, shaping shorts, cutlets etc.).
No worries if apparel isn’t on your shopping list, there is always the art by up and comers such as award-winning Olivier Martin, stemware by Vileroy & Boch, scented candles and the library of luxury coffee table books to choose from.
What a heavenly little place to sin.
Shop 10, Half Moon Village, Montego Bay,
- If the store seems dark when you arrive during opening hours, not to worry, they aren’t out for lunch, but just saving on electricity. Press the buzzer and watch the store come alive as you enter.
- If you adore the smell of the store while you’re there, chances are Kerry will have candles with that fragrance for sale that will lend your domicile the air of the boutique.
- If it’s not in the jeans, then it’s in the genes. Kerry’s sister Shauna has a baby store called Ba-bee-licious which caters to the young fashionistas and their moms.
- Kerry-Ann Clarke does personal styling, Yendi Philips, (Ms. Universe 2010 Runner-up) is one of her clients.
- Be sure to specify that you’d like a ribbon and a tag if you’ve left items for gift-wrap.
Hours: Mondays-Saturdays 10:00am-6:00pm